Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Whole Foods Is My Best Friend

I hate that I have not blogged in a few weeks. Seriously, If anyone in my family is reading this, I would like a camera for my Birthday. Nothing fancy. Just a simply point and shoot camera so I can make posts more often. My sister, who takes fantastic food photography for me, is always busy and I hate to ask to her to take pictures of my food creations all the time.

Now onto more important things. A few weeks ago, I decided I was going to go on a low sugar and carb diet. No, not for weight loss reasons, but hey if I lost a couples pounds I would not be upset. ;)  Anyways, I had been suffering with extreme exhaustion for a couple of months. Even after a few doctors visits, no one could tell me why. So, knowing that what we eat has a major effect on how we feel, I decided to finally try this diet that my older sister swears by. Now, this was not easy for me. You are talking to a recovering sugar addict.  I most definitely think I was born with more than one sweet tooth.

I made it 10 days. I was hoping to make it longer, but the more I did it, the more I realized that it was not the sugar/carbs that I had been consuming that was effecting me. It was the source the sugar/carbs was coming from. Do not get me wrong, I noticed a big difference in how I felt and losing a few pounds was a bonus, but the idea of making this a lifestyle was not for me. I felt deprived and I felt like there was a better way of going about feeling better. So, instead of cutting sugar and carbs completely, I decided to consume them through fresh food. Now, I was not eating processed food before. I am all against that junk, but lets just say that if a cake was made from scratch, I would eat it. Probably most of it, too. Wait, How am I not 2035794659475 pounds? I have the gym, and good genes to thank for that.

So, basically, the point of this post is to share with you some delicious foods that I have been eating that are not only scrumptious, but nutritious.

Breakfast idea #1: "Not quite an egg sandwich"
This is one of my favorite things to eat in the morning because it quick, keeps you satisfied, provides an easy way to get a serving of vegetables, and is just nutritionally great for you.

How to make it: All you have to do is scramble one or two eggs and lay it on a toasted whole wheat bagel that is topped with 2 tbsp cream cheese, a handful of spinach leaves, and 2 slices of tomato. Isn't that so easy! Now, just pour yourself a glass of whole milk, and you are good to go!


Breakfast idea #2: "Granola and banana flax waffles"

This is my favorite because I get all the sweet taste that I love, but the benefits of the whole grains, fruit, and flax seed. 

How to make it: Just pop two organic flax seed waffles in the toaster ( I got mine from Whole foods). Once they are done, top them with half a sliced banana, half a cup natural granola, and a few tbsp's (2-3) of fresh maple syrup. 

Lunch/Dinner Idea #1:

I love salad. It is such a great way to get tons of nutrients from different vegetables, fruits, and meat in just one meal. Here is a salad I made for lunch the other day (sorry for the quality of the photo). 

How to make it: Take about 1-2 cups romaine lettuce + 1 cup spinach leaves and top it with chopped carrots, celery, red onion, blue cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer), and any meat of your choice. I topped mine with sauteed polish sausage. 


Lunch/Dinner Idea #2:

I made this bad boy (see picture below) the other night for dinner and LOVED it. I like this meal because it is very well balanced. You get your carbs form the bread, vegetable serving from the tomato/spinach/onion, and protein/fat from the cheese and meat. 

How to make it: Take one toasted hamburger bun (I recommend Whole Foods onion poppy seed buns) and top it with organic mayonaise, spinach leaves, two slices of tomato, and onion (I like red). set that aside while you cook your meat. I cooked my hamburger on the stove. First I drizzled the pan with a tbsp of olive oil and seasoned by hamburger patty with salt, pepper, and garlic. I let each side cook on medium heat for about 7-10 minutes ( I do not like pink meat). And there you have it... a tasty burger :)

(Thanks for making my burger look so great, Maggie Fortson Photography. Check out maggiefortson.com)

Doesn't that all look delicious! I just love simple, fresh food! Plus, knowing that I am providing my body with wholesome food is a great feeling :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I official love your blog and can't wait to try out some recipes. Def adding you to my google reader!

    ReplyDelete