Friday, May 7, 2010

And your total comes to...

There is nothing I love more than saving money! I hate seeing money go to waste, which is why I absolutely love going bargain hunting. Now, I didn't bargain hunt for clothes today, but I found great deals at the grocery store. I was really happy with the good deals I found because I go through produce on a weekly basis. Therefore, I can not afford to pay high prices. Coupons help and so do preferred savings! Try to guess as you read through the list of items I purchased how much you think I spent? (aim a little higher because I had to pay high taxes. That is the worst part about living downtown Chicago). Okay, here it goes:


1. 2 loaves of 12 grain bread
2. 3 tomatoes
3. 3 apples
4. 3 bananas. By the ways, I figured out a good trick when it comes to banana buying. Since you obviously won't eat every banana that you buy in one day, you can buy 1 or 2 green ones, 1 or 2 medium green, 1 or 2 that are more yellow than green, and 1 or 2 yellow bananas. I figured that this way you don't risk any going bad by the time you get to the last one :) 
5. 11 oz of mixed greens
6. 1 avocado
7. 18 eggs
8. 10 containers of assorted mixed yogurts
Total: $21.61
saved: $8.53
It is crazy how little you can get these days with $20, or in this case $21.61. When my grandparents were young, spending $20 was like spending $100+. I wish you get more with your money like you could years ago, but you can't. Thus, I want to encourage you to find ways to cut costs! We don't need everything we thing we need. Next time you are shopping think, "do I NEED this or do I just WANT this item?" It is fun to try to find ways to save money,too. Or maybe I am weird and find some odd enjoyment out of it. Nonetheless, as a follower of Christ I want to honor God with my financial choices. I hope I have encouraged you to at least make a small change in your financial life. 


God Bless. 

2 comments: