Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Childhood Is Calling

I do not know about you, but there is something about cupcakes that scream childhood. I do not even know why? It is not like I sat around eating cupcakes when I was little. In fact, I did not even like frosting as a kid. I used to wipe the frosting off. Now I can not get enough of it. Funny how things change.

So, for Christmas this year I got a bunch of wonderful gifts. The gift that inspired this particular blog post, however, came from my older sister, Kate. Check it out: 

Considering the fact that I am on winter break, and have nothing better to do, I decided it would be a great time to bake some of these delicious treats. The cupcake I chose to make this first time around was the 'White Christmas Cupcake', which I renamed 'White Chocolate Snow Cupcake.' Ps. Wouldn't be amazing if snow was really made of white chocolate? It is probably for the best that it is not though. I would be in a sugar coma as we speak if that were the case. 

However, enough of me babbling on and on. Let's get baking! To start you will need...

Cupcake mix:                                                            White Chocolate Frosting:
1 1/4 c. cake flour                                                      3 oz. white chocolate chopped
3/4 tsp baking powder                                               1/4 c. unsalted butter
1/8 tsp salt                                                                  4 oz. cream cheese at room temp. 
3/4 c. whole milk                                                       1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vanilla extract                                                    1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temp. 
1 c. sugar
3 large egg whites at room temp. 


We will begin with the cupcake mix. First, preheat your oven at 350 degrees and a line 12 cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners. Next, you are going to need a large bowl where you will sift in the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. set aside. In a small bowl, stir in the milk, vanilla, and almond extract. 
Using another large bowl, blend the butter and sugar together until smooth with an electric mixer on medium speed. (~3 min). Now, alternate mixing in the dry ingredients and liquid ingredients with the blended sugar and butter (continue to keep mixer at medium speed). Once all these ingredients are mixed and smooth in texture, stop the mixer. 

See how easy this is?! The batter is already done! Just fill the paper liners with 1/3 c. of batter and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes. Once they are finished, let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the cupcakes from the pan and onto a wire rack (or plate) where the can cool completely. 
Now for the best part, frosting! First, you will beat your three large egg whites in a large bowl until they become foamy (~30 seconds).  Then, increase the speed on your electric mixture to high and stop once the egg whites have become shiny and smooth. set aside. 
Using a small cooking pot, place the white chocolate into it. While the chocolate is melting, mix your butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract in with your beaten egg whites. blend on a low speed (~1 min). Then, add your melted white chocolate to the bowl and continue to mix until blended. To finish off the frosting, add the powered sugar and continue to blend until all the ingredients are completely mixed with one another. 

Don't worry, It is ALMOST time to eat them! Once your cupcakes have cooled completely, take a plastic icing dispenser and fill it with the delicious frosting you just whipped up! If you do not have one, you can use a blast baggie and just cut a small hole in the corner to release the icing onto the cupcake. 

 Once I finished icing my cupcakes, I took a little coconut and sprinkled it on top. It creates even more flavor and adds a "snow-like" effect :) 


Hope you enjoy them! Mine were "to die for", so I can only expect yours to turn out just as great!

Once again, Thank you Maggie Fortson Photography for capturing these edible delights :) Check out her work at maggiefortsonblog.com

4 comments:

  1. if you make me some cupcakes..then i'll make you some potatoes boiled in heavy cream..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! i'm from Romania and I've started following Andrew on Facebook (I'm m in love with his music) and that's how I found out about your blog. this cupcakes look awesome and all the recipes you've posted seem to be really great.the photos and stories are wonderful too, they are quite suggestive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing. I love cupcake cookbooks - so many great creations!
    Much love,
    B

    ReplyDelete